Rob Reiner is interviewed by Stephen Colbert about his storied career, beginning with his fame as an actor in the landmark television series ALL IN THE FAMILY. Reiner went on to direct of some of the most influential motion pictures of our time, ranging from the seminal comedies THIS IS SPINAL TAP, WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, and THE PRINCESS BRIDE, to classic dramas like STAND BY ME, MISERY, and A FEW GOOD MEN. Reiner is also a committed political activist: he and his wife Michele helped form The American Foundation for Equal Rights.
Recorded Sunday, May 1, 2016 at Montclair Kimberley Academy
In Conversation is presented by
- Best known as an actor and director, Rob Reiner explains the importance of his family in inspiring his political activism.
- Rob Reiner reveals that when it comes to Mary Tyler Moore, he just can’t control himself.
- Rob Reiner talks about the transition from television to directing movies, and discusses the genesis of the mock rockumentary “Spinal Tap” (1984) with his co-writers Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer.
- Stephen Colbert asks Rob Reiner about the iconic lines from his films that people often quote – sometimes in very unexpected places.
- “I’ll have what she’s having,” is one of the greatest comic lines in movie history. Rob Reiner discusses the genesis of the line – and the scene that it’s a part of – from his 1989 comedy, “When Harry Met Sally.”