MFF 2014 Kicks Off Tonight!
Montclair Film Festival’s Artistic Director Thom Powers’ 5 picks of the day, with guests in person:
1) Our Opening Night Film (please note tickets available for balcony seats only, other tickets sold out), Chef (2014, Jon Favreau) Director Jon Favreau plays a chef who gets fired after clashing with a critic and reinvents himself in a food truck on a cross-country trip. In person: John Leguizamo, April 28, 7:00 PM, Wellmont Theater
2) Producing with Lisa Cortes Lisa Cortes’s career spans helping to launch Def Jam and producing Precious. She shares her expertise in producing bold projects. In Person: Lisa Cortes. May 3, 3:00 PM, Audible Lounge
3) No No: A Dockumentary (2014, Jeffrey Radice) Dock Ellis was larger than life in 1970s baseball, notorious for pitching a no-hitter while under the influence of LSD. In Person: Jeffrey Radice. May 3, 2:00 PM, Clairidge Cinema
4) 1 Way Up in 3D (2014, Amy Mathieson) Sports action documentary about two teen boys drawn to BMX racing, from the Montclair-based producers of the Oscar-winning Inocente. In Person: Producer Albie Hecht, co-producer Alexandra Blaney, exec producer Susan MacLaury. May 4, 3:45 PM, Bellevue Theater
5) The Overnighters (2014, Jesse Moss) Winner of a special jury prize at Sundance, The Overnighters focuses on a Lutheran pastor in a North Dakota boomtown who clashes with his congregation over giving shelter to the homeless. In Person: Director Jesse Moss. May 2, 7:00 PM, Clairidge Cinema